Office space for lease - contact Sad Little Man

like everything else before, i spoke too soon again.

my last blog was all about me detailing my feng shui experience. i guess it was fortunate i didn't buy them crystals yet or have that ancient aluminum painting of four horses (apolocalypse, perhaps?) commandeered from my parents' house.

i quit my job early this morning.

yep, let me state the obvious here again. i quit. i didn't get fired.

it was a routine tongue lashing from that patriarch former boss of mine. after spending countless hours preparing for the corplan session we had yesterday (which includes doing my presentation and his, plus analyzing the rest of everybody else's), i decided to skip a meeting early this morning for the simple reason that: 1. i have nothing to do with the agenda. 2. with all the attendees (around 30+), and my present office door removed a few months ago, i felt there was no way i could work on my report.

turns out that despite common sense, my presence was needed by this man. not for anything functional, but only to instill a sense of personal satisfaction for him that i am an underling who would be there.

which is plain stupid. for a guy who makes more than a million a year, he can get annoyed by the absence of someone who is not needed. talk about productivity, and yet he keeps professing to be very busy and that he doesn't have enough time.

a side note, i also learned that one director, very crucial to the meeting topic and a key participant in the activity being discussed, was one hour late in arriving. Needless to say, nothing was heard about that. In a semi-ancient chinese phrase: Ni Ha Ni Ho...

anyway, after their meeting, it was my turn. nothing came into my head after the first few words, something about my being late that day was a personal insult to his manhood.

Huh? Run that by me again please.

Anyway, i was pretty much sure halfway in his diatribe that the ending would be me getting another final warning and that i would be fired if i did it again. God, this has happened so many times that i already lost count. For somebody who has no late no absences in his contract, i get a lot of flak on reporting AFTER an intensive work activity the day (or weeks) before.

I got up halfway his final warning sentence and interrupted him by saying he doesn't have to fire me, as i'm quitting same day. No follow up sentences or explanations necessary. I dislike being in the same room as an overbearing asshole who think position comes with the right to make judgments on people. I vaguely heard him say "Fine!"

just like that. and it was over.

Never in my life have i ever experienced a most vaguely unsettling person who seemed to have transformed before my eyes.

I totally forgot about the shiny-eyed bright bald man who can sell you the moon. That was when he was trying to get me to join him in his new job as a manager. Turned out that being a manager in his team meant that he will manage to find something for you to do to prevent you from doing what you were hired in the first place, then ball it all up and blame it on you when the heat is on. Despite my ego, I tried to be a faithful sidekick - the alfred (not even robin) to the batman, or even Maritess to the superfriends. But somehow, being subservient is not enough to some people. They need to get some kicks by tormenting and demanding.

What i left in that room was a simmering sad imp of a man who has let go of all reason just because it is in conflict with his daily ill mood. I guess he wasn't expecting me to stand up for myself that day, having thought that i am blinded by the flimsy corporate image he cultivated. He was a sad little man who has no manners (when nobody's watching) and even lesser friends. It's pitiful that success and a fat wallet can't buy you respect.

Fuck all that. I wanna be rich and successful, but i don't want to be a sad little man who lashes back at people who help him just because he's a sad little man.

I'll probably wind up in an IT company or a call center for the moment, but i won't be a sad little man ever.

Truth to tell, I am saddened that i gave up everything in this company i've grown to love, especially the people i worked with. I had to give up everything just because of one sad little man.


afterthoughts:

the whole time this episode happened, i never took a light. I'm still smoke-free, thank you, though i downed a couple of beers for lunch.

what a way to start the year, eh? I guess i learned some quick lessons:
1. Never make fun of feng shui, or its resident geomancer.
2. If you blog about your office space, be careful. Pass forwarded messages and do not break email chains. Otherwise, you lose your job. But again, i quit. I didn't get fired.
3. Respect yourself, then stay away from people you can't respect.

Comments

Kai said…
Good luck job-hunting. I say, strike up on your own, stop following bald little sad men. They don't deserve you.
iceman said…
thanks kai. and i didn't smoke the whole time :) so we can still have that coffee and dessert...

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits