Crisis of confidence

prologue: I hedged against writing this entry but i guess transparency won over everything else. If i continued writing about just the good things, it wouldn't make much sense 10 years from now, as any offspring might see this and conclude that was a cheery person my entire life.

---
We lost a game we should have won last night by 3 points. Led the entire game except the last 2 minutes.

And what's worse, i spent the whole game chained to the bench.

I do realize i may not be as good as the rest of the players, but i try to do my share whenever asked. I really felt bad knowing i could have helped one way or the other, but i guess the coach was afraid i'd do more harm than good. So despite being the earliest to arrive for the game, my jersey hardly worked up a sweat, and it was so bad that my water bottle got home untouched.

I even forgot to bring home my shoes. A teammate took it home with him and joked later that it was lucky it didnt fit him. If it did, i would have given it and retired from the team.

I mean, if i was that bad, they shouldn't have asked me to join the team in the first place. I could have spent the evening working or getting tipsy or watching Transformers the movie on mp4.

Although it would be easy to admit this is sourgraping, i guess it hit me more last night. This is not helping my confidence, whether in basketball or anything else. this only happens to this particular team. I mean, i play in other teams and courts and i hit game winners regularly, so i can safely say it's not ability. I still perform the occasional blunder but who doesn't? all i ask is be given the chance...

What the hell, im playing later. i asked a friend last night if i can play with them later and i will wreck the court and demolish the opposition.

If only i can get my shoes back...

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's why I stopped playing badminton with you-know-who way back when.

I remember how I just quit playing all together, and letting no one know about the real reason behind the decision. I told no other person but you.

Anyway, go ahead and join only those who are fun to play basketball with. :-)
Kitty Litter said…
Pare, crisis of confidence? Interesting, given I've always thought you were true to the nickname "always cool"

i've always felt that sports was for fun, but i'd be lying if i said na walang thrill ang competition. funny, kasi si haig palaging niyayaya ng boss ko na magbasketball. naisip ko mas bagay ka sa grupo nila :) talk to you soon pre when work cools down.

-charleng
iceman said…
always cool is a misnomer, as is the label iceman. im really a guy who stayed with his parents until the age of 28. and still hoards money to buy action figures he wouldn't open.

but don't tell that anybody ok?
Kitty Litter said…
Uy, ha, i see nothing wrong with action figures. then again you know na nerd ako so hey ;p

atsaka ako kaya, 32 at nasa bahay pa? hnye.
Anonymous said…
don't worry, j, you'll always be cool in our hearts. m

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits