Bring it back, bring it back...

Between the searching and the need to work it out
I stop believing everything will be alright
Broken
We are broken
I'm walking uphill being turned around and round
Secret in motion when my feet are on the ground
Broken
We are broken
In my mind's eye
One little boy anger one little man
Funny how time flies

- Broken, Tears for Fears

i had the pleasure of watching concert DVDs last weekend at a family gathering (yep, i was at my brother-in-law's den, having a beer and ignoring everybody else). I was able to watch Tears for Fears - concert at Sta. Barbara before their breakup, and Queen - Freddie Mercury era and post.

i was especially touched when Brian May went onstage and mentioned he was going to sing a song that he usually sang with Mercury.

Love of my life,
You hurt me,
You broken my heart,
Now you leave me

Love of my life can't you see,
Bring it back bring it back,
Don't take it away from me,
Because you don't know what it means to me

Love of my life don't leave me,
You've stolen my love you now desert me,

Love of my life can't you see,
Bring it back bring it back,
Don't take it away from me,
Because you don't know what it means to me

You will remember when this is blown over,
And everything's all by the way,
When I grow older,
I will be there at your side,
To remind how I still love you
I still love you
I still love you

Hurry back hurry back,
Don't take it away from me,
Because you don't know what it means to me

- Queen, Love of My Life

Awash with emotion, i'd say. And no, i love the above two songs despite the fact i never assigned them to any girl during my turbulent youth. My hitlist in those days where dominated by Mellow Touch staples such as "Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" (Reo Speedwagon), "The Flame" (Cheap Trick), "Of All The Things (Dennis Lambert), etc.

So sue me, i listened to pop. So what? I used to spend nights with my siblings dramatizing songs by Air Supply, which my overseas dad generously sent to us by batches.

Anyway, getting buzzed at the Malabon sound room, I almost forgot how much i loved TFF and Queen. Freddie was a showstopper, and TFF was...er, uhm.. TFF.

I remember my 6th grade (i know, im rambling). I was hooked up with the school's uber nerds and i was right smack in the middle. Everybody in my group had a medal come recognition, and mine was scheduled as well. All i had to do was write an essay to make it a formality, as there is absolutely no competition to moi in English. Sadly, the topic was society and i got the fucking spelling of SOCIETY wrong.

As consolation, my dear friends chipped in to buy me a Top 40 shirt with the Tears for Fears logo. I loved it, at least until my mom told me to do better next time so as not to depend on consuelo de bobo (consolation) gifts. Guess that started my concept on maintaining self-pride. I actually am grateful for my mom in putting that concept in my head at such a young age: self-worth above all. The rest can follow.

--
epilogue: And so we came home Sunday night to a flooded ground floor. Spent the next hour or so assembling the mop you often see on Home Shopping Network. Nel wanted to buy a new mop and i insisted on buying just the replacement rag.

By the time i finished, half the work was done the old-fashioned way.

So much for technological advances...so i was too tired to finish my blog and i had to add this today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Pass it on