So shoe me

(note: this title is not an original. i hacked it from a campaign made by one of the local shoe companies. If i remember which, i'll be glad to quote them.)

I blew my extra money on shoes today. Not one pair but two pairs.

For all you females out there, i know that buying more than a pair is more a norm rather than an exception. But this is my blog, and this is my story. anyway, it's not what i bought that enlightened me today. it's how i did so.

earlier, i spent the better part of the afternoon making sense of a sales book that i'm supposed to summarize (i got a very good commendation for my first assignment summarizing books - the professional equivalent of stamping a star into the back of your hand when you recite in kindergarten class). After trying to do so (they were full of numbers), i gladly headed back to the summary office and asked for a new one instead. I also got my first payment in cold cash. It's not much, but it's unexpected money, so i decided to split it with nel. Then i mixed it with some leftover cash from another unexpected account and decided to part ways with it.

First we went to Libis to buy some birthday gifts. I ended up rewarding myself with two pairs of rubbers. one are casual trainers and the other gum-sole shoes so i can play badminton without worrying if my cross-trainers or my shox will hold up.

For the badminton pair, it was funny because i had to choose between four:

#1. first, it was a Wilson, a racquet-sport specific brand that has a made-for-badminton model and is nicely priced. Nah. Colored conservatively white and grey. They have my size in stock.

#2. Next, i had another comfy model brought to me. An adidas, with just the right size, cheaper by a G. Light blue with mesh. Light on the feet.

#3. Then, i was given a nice pair of Nikes. They're as inexpensive as the former, and has a non-marking midsole. They also have a size (9.5) that's right. White with red trims.

#4. Finally, they brought another Nike, this time a gum-soled model that looks better worn with jeans than on the court. It's dark blue and is trimmed scandalously with yellow. It also comes in a size a bit smaller than my usual (9). It's a bit more pricey than 2 and 3.

Of course i took #4. It doesn't take brain surgery that i can withstand an exact fit if the color is other than white.

Can you imagine maintaining white rubber shoes? If yes, can you imagine me doing so?

As for the size, i mentioned it was exactly right - not really small, but little room for breathing. It's not that bad though. Nothing that cutting your toenails before wearing them and putting thin socks can't address.

The kicker, apart from the obvious fact that i have to look different, is that if ever i give up badminton, i can always wear the shoes over jeans as they look really niiiiiice. After all, I'm a basketball guy.

Twisted Moral of the story - Happiness is making a conscious decision to be happy by buying shoes you like. Females dig this reasoning when it comes to footwear.

If that leaves you unconvinced try my alternate moral:

it's my money.
it's my blog.

--
The irony of it all is that I really wanted to buy a T-shirt.

Im free. I can go to meetings dressed in my favorite blue jeans and a black shirt. But i don't want my shirts thinning over repeated clashes with the washing machine, so i need more. After Libis, we went to the big mall in QC and I combed through all my customary stores but I couldn't find a shirt i liked. Sigh! Either the fabric isn't for summer wear (i'm not buying any Dri-Fit nikes until June because they tend to warm up), or they don't have the size for the designs i want. I went home "empty-handed," although nel was green-eyed the whole drive home.

Shirts are a different matter. You don't settle for sale price, or for anything else. The shirt picks the wearer.

So i'll be back. And im buying a WWE John Cena Chain Gang 54 shirt if i find one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits