Quota Barista

I hit my self-inflicted quota for March 5 days into the month. Which means any additional work or income would be a bonus. Or a cushion assuming that April begins a dry spell. Fortunately, I can't see that far into the future anyway, so i'll enjoy my victory, thank you very much. Whatever happens, Starbucks is fast becoming the winner in this epic struggle, as i have embarked on a daily fix of venti (20 oz) size latte.

I realized i haven't been blogging as much as i should have, considering that i am my own bundy clock. But i guess i've been busy enough to hide my angst over people, situations, and the general malaise that envelops bored or stressed people.

I'm not bored. I just pulled another all-nighter trying to make sense of a book called The Number. After reading it and turning in a 13-page essay, i felt deflated. It's not as easy as it seemed it would be (the book wasn't exactly a page-turner), but i got my motivation that the proceeds from this summary (every month) can be used to pay for my DSL connection. yey...

now, im supposed to be doing a commentary on a creative studio web site but im blogging instead. this is warming up. i don't have the benefit of coffee tonight, but i am dragging this one by the tail.

i need a caffeine fix. im fast becoming an all-night person.

--

i came from an interview last week for a medical transcription company. While the opening being bandied was editor, i was more enamored into the part-time thingie they also posted. It surprised me as well as the HR person who was getting my exam papers that i openly asked for the part-time gig instead of the coveted editorship.

Days later, while i was calmly in line waiting for my brew to go, i looked at the Starbucks bulletin board and saw they were hiring. Hmm... should i be a part-time barista? From operations manager to coffee maker in just under a year...

actually, i like the idea, asking caffeine junkies whether Tall, Grande or Venti is in order for the day, giving them the freedom to choose between brown sugar and equal. More importantly, i get to share in the tips collected from customers who fall in line to order, carry their drinks to their table, put in their own milk and sugar, and clean up after themselves.

That would have been great if not for this millstone called pride. pressure from my peers, my relatives, and my professional experience frown at the fact that i would accept i job i probably would love doing rather than work at something you hate for the money and the prestige.

Where is the justice in that? Until then, i'll be busy writing, editing, and sometimes blogging.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I once had an offer to sing full-time - as in do it as a full-time job and get full-time wages, singing for 4 hours a day. I would have loved to do it, but I had the same pressures as yours, including a family to raise. Sigh.
Kai

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Pass it on