Solving a dilemma

I finally mustered the courage to do something I’ve been meaning to do for years now. I was hesitant about the concept, and was paranoid about the numerous warnings that it’s not worth it.

It took me quite a while to start, and when I did, I wavered during the middle. It took me ages to do something that I should have known how to instinctively. Finally, I drew a sigh of relief as I finally finished it. Now that i did, all i can do is wait anxiously for the impending results of this first time foray.

I finally made my first online order.

Prologue: The dilemma of gift giving
Nel is always at a crossroads on what to give me for Christmas or birthdays. She claims I am too critical of gifts (I am not! I just express my genuine reaction upon seeing my gift unwrapped). She would rather buy me things I need for my everyday use, but as a principle, I prefer out-of-the ordinary (likely expensive) purchases for those special occasions.

This loggerhead created the need for us to draw a wish list, upon which a Christmas gift (or birthday – it’s easy for her as she celebrates hers Jan 1) can be extracted. No mess, no fuss, and no regrets right?

Right. I’ll let you judge for yourself:

Mine:



  1. iPod Nano

  2. Electric Guitar and Amp

  3. A PC upgrade (512MB RAM, DVD RW drive, Altec Lansing speakers)

  4. A MAD Magazine subscription ordered from abroad

  5. Assorted Sacramento Kings paraphernalia

  6. A DVD component for the living room

  7. La-Z boy

Hers:



  1. New car

  2. Body repair for her car

  3. Down payment for a new house

  4. Jewelry

  5. Multiple bags, each a different color

  6. Makeup

For every wish list, she would utter “Kuwentuhan lang naman, di ba?”
Now, that would seem an ordinary list, which is quite true. Unfortunately, we each set ourselves a budget of P5000. So this factoid pretty much scratches off 90% of our wishes. For the rest I find some too trivial (makeup, I can buy you that anytime), or too complex (where can she get Kings gear in this Lakers/Bulls/Celtics country?).

The Final Solution
In exasperation, Nel just told me to give her something to work on, and in my frustration at yesterday’s work pace, I tried visiting my favorite NBA team’s online store.
I told her about my idea, and she was hesitant to give her credit card number (I don’t have one, for fear of swimming in debt – I am genetically disposed to do so). After repeated assurances that It can’t be that bad, she agreed and gave me 100 dollars to spend for myself for Christmas.

Imagine the feeling. Being let loose in a store where all the merchandise is stamped with the logo you’ve craved all those years. All hell broke loose, and I was soon debating the merits of buying two shirts (rare here) or a jersey and a shirt. Which cap? What accessories? Is the banner and baller bands worth getting in favor of the beach towel?

After the initial buzz, I realized that I must be sane. If this succeeds, I can get the other items later. Which makes sense.

Total number of items: 9
Total amount: $118
Shipping and Handling: $62.50
Total: $180.50

I managed to chip in $80 for a gift I really want, and it's worth all the side projects i have to make to pay for it. I was never this excited for a delivery since I tried Yellow Cab pizza the first time. But now, I feel giddy waiting for Christmas, and for FedEx to deliver my loot!

Now that’s what I call a gift…

Thanks, Nyawsie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits