You're My Idol

During this morning's chitchat, I just found out from my officemate that her son, Luis, was looking forward yesterday to go to her office and "see tito james."

Out of blue, Luis told her mom that tito james is his idol.

Whoa. I know the kid likes me because I kept pace with his dissertations on the whole Star Wars franchise during his last visit. I even spent a few moments with him building Rebel and Empire starcraft from assorted Lego pieces. But nothing I did was markedly different from how I play with other children, so Luis’ flippant remark left me amused and flattered.

Of course, that wasn’t the end of the story. Turned out that Luis now has three idols. The first two were Spongebob and Mr. Bean.





I had to laugh out loud for that. Even as I was just starting on dreaming on how great a dad I could be, or how nice it would be to be setting the examples for a generation of kiddies, I got the kick that I probably would make a great cartoon character. This realization knocked me off a few pegs down and stopped me from being completely in over my head...

Still, I was belatedly amused and flattered.

I never expected that in the eyes of an eight-year old, I belong to such a distinguished company of heroes.

I would’ve wished for Superman or Batman in my exalted circle though...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now that Luis mentioned it, I guess I'll have to agree that you do resemble Mr. Bean. Hehehe. :-)

Kidding aside, I really do think you'd be a great daddy--a real grouch for sure, but a great dad, nonetheless. :-) See you soon! Labas daw po tayo sa Hazel.
Anonymous said…
am bored out of my mind and have been reading stuff here and there when i found this. really cracked me up! as in!

but seriously, i think you'll make a great dad. =)

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits