Aztec New Year

Every 52 years or so, the Aztec day calendar (260 days) and calendar of the years (52 years, 365 days) would align, and this was a cause of great celebration.

A feast of 12 days would ensue, where all pots and vessels would be broken and all fires extinguished. The highlight of the festivities would be a human sacrifice, where the heart would be cut out (still beating) and replaced with a piece of wood. This same wood will be used to light the first fire, and be distributed among the people so that normalcy would ensue.

In a recent New Year celebration gone wrong, the priest himself was tied up and readied for sacrifice.

It may have gone wrong, but the event still went smoothly. After all, the priest realized that the continuity of the world was at stake and he made a choice. All the fires were out and everybody was waiting for the new one.

If ever, Quetzacotl would take care of vengeance.

Fires were lighted on this man's heart, and the plight of ordinary days were restored.

Change comes every 52 years, so don't waste your opportunity. Leave all the broken dishes behind.

Happy New Year! Normalcy should ensue.

--
Lost Outside the Tunnel

I laughed until it got too dark.
Somewhere else her voice will bark.
Someone else will be involved.
Someone stronger still.

I'm lost here by myself,
and lost outside myself
But we were not to blame,
we're not the same.

I get up to get back down,
People's voices seem to drown me out
When I am in two minds.
Who could hide a love so blind?

I cared for you in our one dream,
A one way rush to what I'd seen.
A desert free from threats, mundane,
A tunnel for our love.

- Roddy Frame, Aztec Camera

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits