Three Stars and a Sun at Dawn

Yesterday was supposed to be another ho-hum day where you alternately think about working, seriously think about working, and attending meetings to get off working. The afternoon proved much more interesting as I got to sit down with two of the country’s exciting and durable musical artists.

First off was The Dawn, minus Carlos Balcells and plus legend in his own right new bassist Buddy Zabala. Imagine sitting in the same table and trying hard to fawn but to get some hard sound bites. After overcoming the shock and awe when faced with the legendary supergroup, I was able to chat amicably with each member, and despite my boxed questions, discovered that their most requested song was Build Me Up Buttercup and that given the permission to rework the lyrics, Francis Reyes would lead the group in a rendition of Dancing Kings. Also realized via Francis that Saturday Night Fever was a dark tale and not the glitzy all-white disco film we all take it for granted.

Next stop was the iconic FrancisM, who was surprisingly very very amiable and gracious. While waiting for his turn, I confessed that while watching Eat Bulaga! one saturday afternoon, I saw him wearing a nice shirt with just the word “james” written on it. I told him that after the episode, I promptly yanked Nel off the sofa and asked her to accompany me to every Nike outlet within the city limits in the hopes of getting the same shirt. FrancisM bluntly told me that it’s not commercially available here, and that he got it in Singapore, and I replied that I had to learn the hard way.



What he said afterwards stunned me. He told me that he can give me the shirt and that it would be no big deal. I flushed deep red and stammered that he doesn’t have to, and I only told him the story for the story’s sake and not try to wiggle anything from him. He calmly repeated his offer, and his wife, the affable Pia, also joined in. Of course, i managed to get over my surprise and profusely thanked them and said it’s okay. It was already a great day, where a superstar came down to earth and offered his belonging to a fan – no big deal. Made me rethink my position that stars are bigheaded divas that never gave a damn. After the interview, the Yo boy even asked if he can take a picture with us as he’d like it in his blog. Ha! But not after I post my own version of the story in mine.



I had a similar photo op with the Dawn, and for props, we all raised a bottle of beer in toast. If you don’t know the story behind the pic, you’d say I was the fifth member, the one who packs the instruments after the gig. They were all very friendly as well, and game with questions however innocuous they may seem. Hell, I wasn’t prepared, and being starstruck led me to ask anything that came into my head. I also told them that my jeans used to have each band member’s faces handpainted and they genuinely appreciated the fact that they have a fan as old as they are.

It’s great to know some stars haven’t got their heads in the clouds. Two great acts just proved you don’t have to be a star if you’re already one.

Comments

Kitty Litter said…
Isn't that the great thing about some celebs? So, when're you posting a photo of you in that shirt? :p
Anonymous said…
I FEEL YOUR JOY, MISTER. :-)

Read Francis's blog about it, too. Mabait lang siguro talaga syang tao. No wonder he's so blessed.

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits