The Hangover

I'm hung over...

From Ad Congress.


Not from the usual effects of alcohol during the parties at the venue. It would take a lot of free alcohol to get me wasted... and i know a lot about free alcohol. I guess I also know a lot about being wasted, but that's just another blog entry waiting to happen.

Seventeen years after I told my future first boss that I'll be pursuing a career in advertising, I'm still outside looking in. Back then when i was working part time as a cub writer, he never showed any inclination in hiring me full time. When i finally asked why, he told me he was expecting me to follow my declaration of going into agency work. When i told him I'm not really in a hurry, he hired me on the spot. Seventeen years of work involving writing followed. Macs, mainframe software, advocacy, company profiles, real estate, mechanical engineering, drugs, and now beer and all its trappings.

On top of my regular job at PR and whatever the hell is it i'm supposed to be doing for the betterment of the company, everything that a good ad man can do, i did. Just out of the setting, away from the arena, away from fellow practitioners of the dark arts of advertising that live and die by the word of a client. I'm doing that, but in the safety and comfort zone of a patriarchal company that would not let me fail. Which i guess doesn't make it the same.


Seventeen years later, the itch is still there, but not the irrepressible desire to scratch it. With seventeen years come a number of reasons: I think I lost my edge, I have a real job now, I have a family to look after, and I have access to beer - free, discounted, bartered, paid in full or whatever.


The Ad Congress probably opened my eyes with what i could do, with what i could be. And in the proper context. With like-minded individuals all after the same prize of being known with a cleverly-made approach that delighted clients, made competitor agencies green, and delighted noobs just happy to be there.

That in essence, is what i guess i'm hung over for. The company of peers who rebel at every instance of order, of people obssessed with the perfect copy, of individuals who are paid to think outside not just the box but the planet. The security of my present job reflects the security of the established norms and mores that the company has nurtured over the century. You can be trailblazing, yes, but let the others catch up. You can be creative, but stay the course. You can think out of the box, but come back inside as soon as you finish.


Is now a good time to rethink my career path? I have no idea. I don't even know if anybody would be dumb enough to get my services. I've been job-hopping the last decade before i settled here at the Escudo, and i'm here long enough to establish a record in tenure. And i have some sort of reputation when it comes to applying creativity where there was none before.


Let's let it simmer a few more years i guess. Unless i happen to reread this blog and pick out all the denials i wrote. For now, i loathe moving to Makati. That's good enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits