King of Pain

NBA Basketball season is amongst us, all ye faithful. which means nothing to most of you, but is the difference between me sleeping at 1030 and sleeping at 1045.

I don't actually watch entire games (save for Kings games whenever the opportunity arrives) on a daily basis, as i loathe the daily fare Basketball TV has scheduled for us:
a. Teams better than the Kings - why the hell should i watch them?
b. Teams worse than the Kings - see a.

As of this writing, my beloved team is mired at the middle, with 3 wins and 3 losses and nowhere near its potential. Add to that a declining fanbase (especially here in the country), the possibility of moving to another city, and the seeming disinterest of a number of national sportswriters in the US, and you'll probably ask me the next time i see any of you: "Why the Kings? They're nobodies."

(although even more probable is that nobody gives a flyin' frick and move on to the next blog entry. Hence no need to ask questions where i'm prepared to answer.)

I didn't hook up with the Kings because they're a great team. Or a winning one. I abhor the bandwagon mentality, although i did start with the team the moment they were poised to defeat the hated Lakers. But i was loyal even if the two teams went on different directions.

I didn't hook up with the Kings because of any superstar player on the team. Except for a faux Tyreke Evans jersey, i don't have anyone on the current roster.

I didn't hook up with the Kings because i felt kinship with their fanbase, who i faithfully read up on via Sactown Royalty every day. The site could care less with or without my comments and/or postings.

I didn't hook up with the Kings because of the color purple. Barney is purple. I hate him.

I just like them. And hopefully, i'd get to step on their playing floor before they move to another city (it won't be the same under a new team).

In the meantime, i'd spend some quality insanity on supporting a team half a world away who could care less. They don't have to like me back.

Because i like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits