An epilogue of sorts

yesterday marked the return leg of my last trip as "the guy" for south luzon. Fittingly, a buddy mentioned as we were parting that i first met him during Parada ng Lechon and I was saying goodbye 3 paradas later. I felt sad but managed to smile, but then i could've sworn i heard him mutter "Who cares?" as he turned around...

As we traversed the length and breadth of the asphalt, i tried to gather sweet memories of my short stint here at the provinces that i brazenly adopted as my own, only to be paranoid that the residents were really anxious to see me go.














I tried to retrieve from my memory palace the favorite activities and get-togethers that we did in behalf of the name we carried. Strangely, all i got were moments of pure embarrassment (for both yourself and the name you carried) by falling asleep or puking at the most inopportune time (or person). Blame the long travel.














I tried to cram into my mind the thousands and thousands of kilometers or roads that led me farther from home and into new places that somehow provides you with the same comfort as not going away. Roads that seemed to take you nowhere, and they sometimes did. But along the way, you can see the Philippines as is: poor but beautiful, a bit proud, a bit humbled, but definitely willing to take on more.


















I tried reminiscing where i stayed. All i got were images of hotels, competing and contrasting lobbies (sometimes of dubious taste), varying degrees of room service, and the unending struggle of getting a clear wifi reception the very few times you thought about bringing your laptop. And i also visited quite a number of places that featured not just good food, but a penchant for the humorous as well.











I tried remembering the places I visited when i had the time and wasn't hung over. All i got were the beaches that took our breath away but I never got to swim in. Wakeboarding, snorkeling, and other water sports i should've taken back when i didn't have 50 additional pounds. Swimming with living things that you only come across if you inadvertently switch your TV to NatGeo or Discovery. And also, having to endure taking souvenir photos with your host on places where tragedy occurred.














I tried rehashing the local scene. I remember bargain hunting (or being victimized - who knew?) for fish, nuts, fruits, delicacies, and most importantly -- refrigerator magnets. Lots and lots of magnets.













I tried to do all that. But the moment louie shifted to quinta, i promptly fell asleep. And woke up at C5. Too many places, too many memories, too much to drink...














Viva South Luzon! I never harbored any illusions that my presence made any impact. I'm just glad i was able to see you in your full regalia, and not just the tourist traps your residents concoct to earn more money to desecrate you further - all in the name of tourism.














I hope that next time I go back, I'll be bringing my own money, and more importantly, my own schedule.

Comments

ryanti said…
nice pictures..and environments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits