Windows

I was standing outside the house in a rare moment of catching my breath from the crazy weeks past. It so happened that i glanced at the some of my neighbor's house. The building code in my community expressly states conformity in terms of structure, but since the complex is more than 2 decades old, there were some noticeable changes in some of the houses.
i noticed that metal bars were placed in the windows of the house just across the corner, heavy ones at that. now, in some other place in Manila, that would have been common, but in this relatively peaceful place that we have, it struck me as an oddity. While security is not really a strong suit, we have enough guards patrolling the area and residents fairly know each other by faces, I have been lax from time to time but nothing bad has ever happened. So why the heavy windows?

Looking carefully, i realized that the windows have been enlarged in this house, and that it serves as a mini-balcony of sorts.

It also made me realize that some defenses aren't meant to keep people out, but maybe to keep people in...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for people to know.

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits