Happy Thoughts

Yes, I know.

I’m supposed to write happy thoughts about our last vacation while my skin voluntarily flakes off from my recent bout with sunburn.

I’m supposed to write about happy thoughts that began with a bus ride from hell crammed with assorted characters, ranging from the Euro lover of Asian-looking women, to the solo scratchy weirdo, to hardcore members of the Brokeback Mountain fans club, who suddenly decided to anoint a wall in Batangas with callings from nature:

















Then, I’m supposed to write happy thoughts about fighting your way into the passenger terminal on Batangas City, where everybody and his mother decided to spend Holy Week. About crawling in the midst of the horde while I lug around 2 huge gym bags which Nel deemed less than enough for a 3 days at the beach.
















Next, I’m supposed to write happy thoughts about the one-hour plus boat ride on something totally made of wood, where we greet choppy waves out to impersonally maim us. On disembarking, we were greeted by establishments that double as tourist traps, and learning that our hotel, which is more of a community for scuba divers (which none of us are) is the farthest from the party place called White Beach.
















And then I’m supposed to write happy thoughts about how we had to pay an arm and a leg every time we venture out, whether by land or by sea. And that the waters between our hotel and the nearest resort town were by far the choppiest.

Given all that, I’m supposed to write happy thoughts about this vacation?

















Did I tell I had the most wonderful vacation yet? Despite all of the above, I do have a lot of happy thoughts - mostly in between arriving and leaving.































(Note: Of course i set the triggerfish free after this photo session)

But the first and foremost happy thought is that I’m coming back there as soon as I can.

Comments

Kitty Litter said…
James. In the group photo, are you actually wearing flowered shorts? Akala ko ba only wimps wear 'em? (mwahaha)

I hope you didn't French the triggerfish. Harassment yun e ;p
iceman said…
this is the same pair of shorts that gave up on me an hour later, exposing my inner thighs to the angry sea.

now that i thought about it, i was wearing flowery shorts the whole time. even ornery ones.

as for the triggerfish, we decided to remain friends instead.
Kitty Litter said…
Ouch. Inner thigh sunburn. Ooo-wee, i feel da pain.

nakakatuwa naman na kunyari ornery ka pero this is a part love note for your wife. haay, inggit! :D
Kai said…
Next time, dude, leave the islands to those who don't know better during peak season (Holy Week, All Saints' Day, Christmas, and all long weekends). Go when nobody else is going, as long as there are no typhoons. It's a lot cheaper, and much more calmer. You'll have more than joyful thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits