Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Except Me)

In the course of work, I’ve been reading up on biographies of a number of famous people who made it through hard work, sheer determination, and a willingness to buck the odds (what a job eh? reading during office hours and getting paid…). Their inspiring stories, often either a rags-to-riches or obscurity-to-fame type, has led countless people to think about being master of their own fate and captain of their soul.

Upon reflection, I realized I had none of the qualities of a successful businessperson, so I guess as early as now, I must consign myself to a life of abject mediocrity.

I was not born special. I didn’t come from a life of poverty so I don’t have that chip on my shoulder that makes me obsess over making it big. I did have some Kodak moments, including episodes running around the house without shorts on. However, that was more out of diaper rash rather than destitution. I wasn’t a product of nobility or rich people as well, so I don’t really have the drive to prove myself I belong to this circle. If I didn’t have such rich friends, I wouldn’t have even realized that we were lower-middle class.

I did not experience any turning points in my life that made me want to be overly successful. No lightning strikes, no visions, no promises made to dying relatives, and definitely no prophetic revelations seen during the daytime.

I possess neither the drive to be cutthroat, nor am tempted to push the envelope. I have a fear of knives outside the kitchen and the dining table, and the only envelopes I am glad to see are the pay kind.

I do not have the foresight or the patience to change the world. I’m pretty much happy with what the universe offers right now, and even if I do have some issues like taxes and disposable beer kegs, I’m not about to start a revolution based on the promise of a brighter future for everybody. I subscribe to the fact that the Earth has been around for a couple of million years, and that centuries after I kick the bucket, it will still be around regardless of what I think. This belief goes well with my favorite saying: “Turn off all lights as you go.”

If everybody minded their own business, the world will spin much faster. Maybe even better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis of confidence

Day Two: Diary of a Starfish

Here's to a thousand hits